Salaam and Greetings of Peace:
Announcing the Islamic Writers Alliance 7th Annual Islamic Poetry Contest.
April 1st – 30th, 2011.
Submissions may be sent beginning today, April 1, 2011, and will be accepted until 11:59 on April 30, 2011 EST.
The theme for this year is open and contest guidelines can be viewed below:
• Poetry must be Islamic in theme and in nature
• Poetry must be from at least 2 lines long, but no more than 100 lines
• Entries may be of any ‘type’ of poetry, including but not limited to ballad, couplet, iambic pentameter, quatrain, cinquain, sonnet, haiku, epic, free verse, and even light verse, limerick and spoken word.
The Poetry contest has 3 categories of submission:
1. IWA Members –
2. Adults – authors 18 and over who are not members of IWA
3. Youth – authors under the age of 18 who are not members of IWA
• Maximum of 1 (one) submission per individual.
• Entries that have won previously cannot be resubmitted.
• Poems will only be accepted as plain text (ASCII) format in the body of email , as an attachment in Microsoft Word, or as a pdf.
• Poems must be submitted via email.
• Poems must be submitted to
• Poems must include authors name, category, email address, mailing address, phone number, and title of poem.
• Poems that are submitted by youth under the age of 18 must also include a statement from a parent or legal guardian authorizing the IWA’s public use of poem on the website or for a possible anthology in the future.
• Teachers may submit ‘class’ poetry only as individual submissions from one school with parental permission.
• Poems are the legal property of the author.
• IWA retains the right to disqualify and reject submissions deemed inappropriate.
This is a great venue in which to hone poetic skills, so please pass this notice along to any poets you know, young or old, and help spread the word on your blog, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, or other social networks :)