Salaam and Greetings of Peace:
Well, I have been tagged by Sister Scorpion (Dec, 15th post), and urged by Sister Maliha to answer, so here are the six things that are not usually known about me. They are not particularly weird, and for that I apologize :)
1. I was terribly shy with girls and women as a boy and young man, and only got over it when I was thirty-three years old, as I kissed a woman I was dancing with at a party. Something turned in me then; I could actually feel it turn, and I have never been shy after that, though still on the quiet side.
2. I was a virgin when I got married (the shyness again).
3. I was divorced when my children were young, and have always regretted it.
4. Having been a writer and editor for many years, I’ve worked for many publications, including a brief stint at the infamous Hustler magazine in 1976 as Managing Editor. I was fired by Larry Flynt for not having the right stuff for that type of publication. I still don’t.
5. Because of a misdiagnosed case of Cushing’s Syndrome (a benign tumor on the pituitary gland) I was hospitalized for seven weeks in 1986. During that hospital stay my heart literally stopped and was revived, and I had an out of body experience that illuminated without doubt the infinite goodness and mercy of God. It was a blessing in disguise.
6. I am the son of Holocaust survivors, Polish Jews who, after the Russians liberated Poland, also escaped the Russians to West Germany. My mother was eight months pregnant with me at the time. Those that have read Master of the Jinn may remember the scene in the American Army Hospital where the first child born in the DP (Displaced Persons) camp after the horror of the war was celebrated. That part of the story was drawn from my life, or at least the way my parents tell it.
And that is all of the tale I will tell :)